Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Secret Life of Bees


I'm glad that I've given myself the liberty to get back to blogging in my own good time. Nothing is as awful as forcing yourself to write something (a sad reminder of those still in school who have to do homework and assignments - I feel you!).

For starters, I've chosen this book by Sue Monk Kidd. I came across this book after I've seen the trailer of the film adaptation. Though I haven't seen the movie, I liked how the actors picked neatly fit in my imagination while reading. So that's simply marvelous.

On Goodreads, I gave it (a well earned) five stars.

After reading this book, I found myself grateful to the writer for a few things: reconnecting me to my teenage self; emphasized the fact that family is found even outside the boundaries of your own home and line of kin; made me live in a world engulfed by the insect I fear the most without cringing!

I am exactly twice Lily's age, yet have fallen in her shoes from the very start. Monk's book is an outstanding example of narrative that maintains the viewpoint of a fourteen year old with consistency in all scenes. This is what the world looks like to a human her age, going through the type of circumstances she's been destined to live.

Just like August does not force Lily to tell her what secrets to her life that she's hiding, Monk leads the reader through the story in a similar fashion. Though we know Lily's secret well ahead in the story, it is the true meaning of life and coexisting is what matters. The ideal evolves with Lily's experience at the Boatwright's pink house where she learns the secret life of bees. But what she really learns is about her own self; about her mother's past; about how to move on and ultimately be at peace with her past.

Monk's style of writing flows effortlessly, and I adore the tone and voice she has given to her MC. The characters do enjoy a sensible degree of diversity which we know is a must, its significance when it comes to the various themes of the story is how they were all able to bond and stick together for the sake of love and family — something that many households fail to achieve.

Now that I think of it, I find my self enjoying books with settings that take place on the outdoors, in forests among the trees and near river banks and fields. It kinda relieves me from the stressful concrete of our daily lives. And that's just me, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment