Monday, July 25, 2016

Necessary Lies



After reading The Midwife's Confessions, I knew I had Chamberlain on my reading A-List.
I personally have a preference to reading stories that take place in a time era I've never witnessed. And to read a story with social crises such as that of America's 60s (which I only saw in movies or TV) was quite the reward!

A story about a poor family overwhelmed by health issues and social instability, with the intrusion of a newbie social worker whose professional mishaps inevitably saves the day.

Jane, the new social worker can be annoying for a great part of the novel; she seems to slip one too many and tries to make it up for the people around her even though it's against her principles. But later on we see her as the one who sincerely makes a difference.

It was honestly a good read, even though the state of Ivy's life is quite depressing, but there was a satisfying ending to it.

That being said, I gave it a five star rating on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment